|My own photo & great book I just added to my collection FIND IT ON AMAZON|
|Photograph found on google images|
FOR NUT MIXTURE
- 2 cups whole roasted unsalted almonds
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup puffed crispy brown rice cereal
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup honey**
- 1/3 cup brown rice syrup (may substitute light corn syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
I do most of my shopping for these things at our local Common Market
- Grease/spray large bowl, 9×13 baking sheet/pan, wooden spoon or rubber spatula, and bottom of drinking glass. Set aside.
- *IF ALMONDS AREN’T ALREADY ROASTED: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts on large baking sheet and bake for 10 min. until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- TO TOAST THE COCONUT FLAKES: Spread coconut in single layer on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 6-7 minutes, stirring half way through, until lightly toasted. Keep a close watch on it to avoid burning–it can go from golden to burnt quickly.
- Add toasted almonds & coconut to large bowl. Add puffed rice/millet and flax seed meal. Stir to combine; set aside.
- In 1-1/2 or 2 quart saucepan, combine honey, rice syrup, salt, and vanilla over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture reaches 260 degrees (hard ball stage) on a candy thermometer. Immediately, pour mixture over nut mixture, stir until evenly coated. Quickly transfer to greased/sprayed 9×13 pan, use hands to spread mixture evenly in pan; press the mixture to close in holes and distribute evenly all over the pan. Using bottom of greased/sprayed drinking glass to tap and compact mixture in pan. Let cool 20 minutes (pan should still be slightly warm). Invert pan on cutting board and tap until mixture falls out in one piece. Cut into 20 bars. (If they cool too much and become too hard or brittle to cut easily, put in warm oven for 1-2 minutes to soften; proceed with cutting.)
- Top your “kind bars” with a little Fleur de sel.
Let me know how you like them – cheers!